Eurovision host city profile for Aussies: Glasgow
Arena name: OVO Hydro
Arena capacity: 14,300
Nearest airport: Glasgow Airport ( 15 minutes by bus from the city centre)
Total hotels: 216 (according to hotelmap.com)
Major events they have held:
2014 MTV European Music Awards, 2014 Commonwealth Games, 2015 World Gymnastic Championships, 2018 European Championships, 2020 Euro Cup, 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties.
Where could the village be?
George Square in the centre of the city could be an option and it was used as live site for Commonwealth Games & Euro Championship. While Glasgow Green is a larger area that holds numerous events and was site for Commonwealth Games and Euro Champs, Euro 2020 & home of TRNSMT festival & World Pipe Band Championship.
Public transport including getting to the arena:
You can take the train from Glasgow Central to Exhibition Centre Station (5 minute walk from station) or 25 minute walk from Glasgow City Centre, bus to Glasgow Science Centre followed by a 10 minute walk over the Clyde River.
How to fly there from Australia:
The most direct flight is Emirates flies via Dubai then on to Glasgow however other flights have two stops through London including Malaysian Airlines, China Airlines and Qatar while Singapore/KLM fly via Singapore and Amsterdam.
How to get there from London:
If you fly direct or spend some time in London first, you can get to Glasgow via train which takes around 4 hours and 40 minutes (the quick trains) or you can fly there which takes around 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hours 30 minutes depending which airport you leave from.
Top 5 things to do or see:
1. Visit Glasgow's Museums: Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Hunterian, Riverside, the Burrell Collection, the Scottish Football Museum and more. All are free entry.
2. Glasgow is known as "the dear green place" and has a number of beautiful parks including Glasgow Green, Kelvingrove, Bellahouston and Pollock Country Park.
3. Enjoy a traditional Scottish cèilidh (Scottish music and dancing) at Sloan Grand Ballroom.
4. Wander around Glasgow city centre on the mural trail.
5. Do a day trip to nearby Edinburgh including the famous Edinburgh Castle.
And finally, does Glasgow have one of the famous Australian themed bars the Walkabout?
Yes! Walkabout Glasgow is located in the city centre.
Check out the profiles on each host city below: