Kazakhstan selects Karakat Bashanova for Junior Eurovision
12-year-old Karakat Bashanova has been selected to represent Kazakhstan at Junior Eurovision 2020.
Twelve acts competed in the Kazakhstan national final held overnight, where Bashanova narrowly took the win with her song ‘Forever’ sung in both Kazakh and English.
Hailing from Ryskulov in south eastern Kazakhstan, Bashanova has previously appeared on The Voice Kids and is currently attending the Russian National Academy of Music where she plays the piano and violin. Sadly her father passed away only a few days before the final and her performance was dedicated to him.
2020 is Kazakhstan’s third year participating at Junior Eurovision after they were invited to take part back in 2018. Last year’s entrant Yerzhan Maxim came runner-up and inaugural contestant Daneliya Tuleshova finished fifth on debut.
Full results of the Kazakh national are below:
1. Karakat Bashanova – Forever – 25.9%
2. Aiim Mukitanova - Celebrate – 25.7%
3. Aykerim Tleubek – Winner – 24.2%
4. Adiia Burhanova – Muza – 18.5%
5. Aqjibek Manarbekqyzy – Jer-Ana – 15.5%
6. Kamilla Kyzdenbaeva – Jeteleidi arman – 14.4%
6. Jan Makim – Brave Heart – 14.4%
8. Saniia Altynbekqyzy – Omir beles – 14.1%
9. Aidana Jumajan – Heal the world – 12.9%
10. Mahinur Tursynova – Uli dalanyn ayeni – 12.7%
11. Islam Saypollda – Otan – 11.7%
12. Nurshat Kysanova – Tygan jer – 10.7%
This year’s Junior Eurovision is scheduled for Sunday 29 November with 13 countries set to take part. The show will be produced in Warsaw, Poland but each child will perform from a studio in their home country due to COVID-19. Sadly, Australia will not compete in the contest for the first time since 2015. Originally withdrawing in July due to COVID concerns, there was speculation this may change once the decision was made to keep each delegation at home. However SBS confirmed in mid September that the show (which has lost its home at ABC ME) would not feature an Australian competitor and would not be broadcast by SBS. Australian fans will be able to watch the show via YouTube.